The Project Manager is responsible for profitably managing all administrative and field construction activities related to assigned projects. Project Managers have direct responsibility over Project Superintendents, Project Engineers, and Project Coordinators assigned to project(s). This person is also responsible to establish and maintain successful relationships with all stakeholders on his/her projects. Project Managers need to be capable of managing multiple Mid to large sized projects independently.
Experience and Education:
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5 years project management experience in the building construction industry. A high school diploma is required. An industry related college degree is preferred. Experience in a fast-paced business environment is helpful. Proven history of leading, teaching, developing, and mentoring others successfully is a necessity
- Prepare and manage a construction schedule which includes milestones for permitting, design, construction and long lead procurement items
- Transition the project budget and schedule from pre-construction to construction.
- Implement value analysis as outlined during the pre-con phase.
- Assist, as requested, in determining general conditions and bid strategy and solicitations.
- Assist with conceptual estimating and scheduling of the project during the pre-con phase as required.
- Know the qualifications, assumptions and pending value analysis issues utilized in the contract.
- Assist design team with scheduling and constructability reviews.
Project Planning & Schedule
- Organize the construction project team, develop assignments for all members and review project with team.
- Coordinate with the design team to identify and implement value analysis and scope reduction opportunities.
- Prepare and implement the project plan with input from all members of the project team, including the Development Team, Store Setup & Equipment Procurement.grou
- Prepare and manage the overall project schedule with input from the Project Superintendent and Subcontractors using the Last Planner System and Milestone planning.
- Prepare for and participate in bi-weekly Hy-Vee Development Team project progress meetings.
- Responsible for overall risk management and mitigation.
- Review Bids and confirm scope to ensure the best overall value for Hy-Vee.
- Write PO’s and Contracts to successful contractors.
- Proceed with work only to the extent an executed contract, subcontracts, insurance, bonds and executed change orders are properly in place.
- Observe work in progress during field visits, question any procedures or products that do not appear appropriate and discuss with the Project Superintendent for resolution.
- Ensure that the project plan and schedule are maintained.
- Initiate changes to increase quality and client service continually throughout the duration of the project.
- Review construction progress to ensure the highest standards of quality consistent with the contract documents.
- Update the project plan as required and initiate changes to keep the project on schedule.
- Review weekly construction progress to ensure the project plan is followed and schedule is maintained. Initiate changes to keep project on schedule. Advise the Project team and Group Vice President, Construction of opportunities that pose a potential cost or schedule concern including issues with subcontractors, designers.
- Negotiate and execute approved contract changes, subcontracts and purchase orders within delegated authority.
- Have a complete understanding of the budget and how it was developed.
- Provide timely notice of all potential scope issues to the Group Vice President, Construction.
- Review and final approve payments to materials suppliers and subcontractors with superintendent input.
- Ensure the monthly billings are prepared. Billings must reflect contract terms and be submitted and collected on a timely basis.
- Maintain accurate monthly projections utilizing Hy-Vee Construction standardized systems and processes.
- Track and resolve subcontractor and material supplier requests for change. Ensure the appropriate subcontract amendments are issued on a timely basis.
- Negotiate issues and execute subcontract and vendor change orders within delegated authority.
- Revise budget and job cost codes, as necessary.
- Assure project goals are met throughout the project duration.
- Create and maintain working relationships with Operations teams, architects, vendors, governing authorities, subs and public during all phases of the construction process. Identify their strengths and weaknesses and seek to improve the company’s image with them and the public.
- Review and ensure that the submittal review and approvals are being processed accurately and timely.
Project Document Management
- Ensure that the contract documents are complete and show the desired intent of the store design team.
- Ensure that documentation is generated for all directives, changes and problems.
- Ensure the proper record documents are maintained in accordance with standard procedures.
- Ensure the proper documentation, tracking and managing of the discharge process of all subcontractor and owner claims.
- Ensure the project team completes project closeout promptly and accurately. Stay in close contact with the owner and the designer during this process.
- Ensure Hy-Vee’s store operations receives required training and documentation.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Business acumen, judgment, communication, solid leadership, client relations, negotiation, project management, solid construction knowledge, decision making, conflict resolution, tact, adaptable, analytical, coach and entrepreneurial are all necessary skills for a project manager.
- Experience with Last Planner and Procore is preferred for this role.
- Have completed or willing to complete OSHA 10 hour training
- Must be able to traverse and inspect all areas of jobsite in all types of weather; this may include walking, climbing, reaching, bending, crawling, or stretching.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at a time.
- Requires overnight travel as projects require
- Exposure to characteristic construction site dangers.
- Must be on-call to address delays, emergencies, bad weather, and other issues at the jobsite.
Important Disclaimer Notice: The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not an exhaustive list of the tasks that and employee may be required to perform. Hy-Vee Construction reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances and or conditions of business, competitive considerations or the work environment change.